Hidden Veggie Mac N Cheese
Baked mac n cheese with carrot and butternut squash puree
- .75 lbs. Whole carrots, pealed and chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cup Butternut squash, cut into 2 inch cubes (6 oz.)
- 1/3 cup Water
- 16 oz. Elbow macaroni
- 8 oz. Sharp cheddar cheese, grated (approx. 2 cups)
- 2.5 cups Whole milk
- 1/4 cup Unsalted butter
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp White pepper
- Steam the carrots and butternut squash for 15 minutes or until soft and tender. Blend with water in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Boil the macaroni according to instructions.
- In a large pot melt the butter and mix in the flour over medium heat. Brown the butter and flour for 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk, salt, and white pepper and simmer for 5 minutes until sauce is thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the vegetable puree.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a large casserole dish put 1 cup of sauce on the bottom. Put half the cooked noodles in the casserole dish. Pour half the sauce over the top of the noodles and sprinkle with half the cheese. Repeat for the final layer. Bake for 30 minutes until hot and bubbly uncovered.