Strawberry Fennel Crisp
Warm strawberry and fennel crisp with oat and butter crumb.
- 2 lbs. fresh strawberries, quartered and hulled
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced (white part only)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pea size pieces
- 3/4 cup rolled instant oats
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine the strawberries, fennel, sugar, corn starch, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
- Grease a casserol dish with butter and pour strawberry mixture in.
- To make the crumb topping mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Cut in the cold butter using a pastry cutter or 2 knives.
- Pour crumb over strawberries and bake for 45 minutes, until the crumb is cooked and browned.
- Serve warm or room temperature with vanilla ice cream