There is nothing more simple and elegant than a caprese salad. I love tomato caprese salads, but sometimes I like to switch the tomato out for roasted beets. The earthy flavor of the beets pairs perfectly with the sweet mozzarella, fresh basil, and tangy balsamic reduction. This dish is perfect for any appetizer, side or even as a light lunch.
How to roast beets?
Turn oven to 375 degrees F. Scrub the beets with water really well to remove any dirt. Trim off the tops and bottoms of the beets. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap each beet in foil. Bake for 45-60 minutes until a fork can pierce through beet easily. The cooking time depends on the size of the beets. Smaller beets may take only 45 minutes and large beets can easily take 60 minutes or more. Remove the beets from the oven and let cool. Using the back of the spoon, peel the skin off the beet. They can store in your refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Beets are really easy to make, but I get it, we are all pinched for time. Almost every grocery store sells pre-cooked and pealed beets that work great in this recipe. This is a food blog, so I’m supposed to make it look like I make everything from scratch, right?
Yellow Beet Caprese Salad
- 2 yellow beets, roasted and sliced
- fresh mozzarella, sliced
- fresh basil, sliced thinly
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar or honey
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash the yellow beets and cut the tops off. Wrap in foil and cook in the oven for 45-60 minutes until fork tender. Depending on the size, you may need to cook even longer. Allow to cool before slicing.
- In a small sauce pot, bring the vinegar and sugar or honey to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the sauce starts to coat the back of a spoon. As it cools, the vinegar will thicken. Ifit is too thick, add a teaspoon or 2 of water. Chill at room temperature or in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Layer slices of yellow beets and fresh mozzarella on a plate. Drizzle with balsamic glaze, good olive oil and sprinkle with fresh basil. Salt and pepper to taste.