Look, butter and cream are my favorite foods. If I could be buried with a stick of butter I would! When I was a kid I my favorite foods are butter sandwiches, butter and white rice, and just a spoon full of butter! I would also just drink the coffee creamers straight up. To this day, if I think nobody is looking, I will eat a slab of butter by itself! Can you tell I like butter? Believe it or not, I’m also a part time vegan. Maybe it’s to balance my addiction to butter and cream. I do believe there are amazing alternatives that are equally as good- coconut milk!
What is in vegan cream of tomato soup
Roma tomatoes- The roasted flavor will make up the base of the soup.
Onions- Roasted for depth.
Coconut Milk- Gives the soup an amazing creamy flavor without weighing you down. I prefer full fat coconut milk, but you can opt for the reduced fat version.
Olive oil- Used to sauté the onions
Tomato Paste- Helps thicken the soup
Vegetable Broth- Homemade or canned
Fresh Basil- A classic garnish on any tomato soup
Bay Leaves, Salt, and Ground Thyme
Vegan Yogurt- Top the soup with a little plain vegan yogurt. Coconut, soy, or almond are all great choices. If you can’t find plain, the honey flavored yogurts are a great substitute.
How to make vegan cream of tomato soup
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss the roma tomatoes and onions with olive oil and 1/2 tsp salt and roast for 50 minutes. This roasting process brings out the natural sweetness of the tomatoes.
2. Blend the roasted tomatoes and onions in a food processor or blender with the coconut milk and transfer to a sauce pot.
3. Whisk in the vegetable broth, tomato paste, 1.5 tsp salt, bay leaves, and ground thyme. Simmer for 20 minutes to bring all the flavors together.
4. Garnish with sliced fresh basil and top with vegan yogurt.
Vegan Cream of Tomato Soup
- 12 roma tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 white onion, sliced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 14 oz unsweeteend coconut milk (1 can)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- fresh basil, sliced
- vegan yogurt (coconut, almond, soy)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a large sheet pan lined with foil, toss the tomatoes and onions with the olive oil and 1/2 tsp salt. Roast for 50 minutes.
- In a food processor or blender blend the roasted tomatoes and onions with the coconut milk. Transfer to a pot and add 1.5 tsp salt, tomato paste, vegetable broth, bay leaf, and ground thyme. Whisk until combined and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil and vegan yogurt.