Vegan Hostess Inspired Cupcakes
Vegan Hostess Cupcakes with a simple chocolate frosting
- 1 cup unsweetened plain soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- 3 cup powdered sugar
- 4.5 tbsp unsweetened plain soy milk
- 1/4 cup (plus 2 tbsp) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar and let sit for 10 minutes until slightly curdled.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk in the milk and vinegar mixture, sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners. Pour batter into each liner and bake 18-20 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool completly on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, beat the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and 2.5 tbsp soy milk. Spoon 1/4 cup off of the frosting into a plastic bag. Cut the corner of the bag (about 1/8 inch).
- Add the cocoa powder and remaining 2 tbsp of soy milk and beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Add more powdered sugar or soy milk (1 tbsp at a time) to reach desired consistancy.
- Frost cooled cupcakes. Decorate the tops of the cupcakes (optional) with the white frosting.
Leave a Reply