One of the things we have missed the most during the COVID quarantine are hot wings…and sports. Hot wings are incredible addicting and require very little time or skill to make. They are nature’s candy and the Thai style sweet chili sauce is the perfect compliment. There is no vegan, vegetarian or low-fat version and there never will be.
How to grill wings?
Typically wings found in restaurants are deep fried and tossed in a hot butter hot sauce. Grilling wings are healthier, easier, and surprisingly better then the deep fryer. After tossing the wings in the oil and seasoning, transfer them to the grill. Space them fairly close together for optimal moisture. Cook for 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes. Toss in the Thai style sweet chili sauce.
Can you make the wings in the oven?
Yes, the wings cook great in the oven. Simply, drizzle with olive oil and bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes. Make sure to flip half way through the cooking process. After cooking, toss in the Thai style sweet chili sauce.
What other flavor wings can I make?
The grilled wings are so versatile. Toss in warmed barbecue sauce, teriyaki, or chicken wing sauce. You can make your own traditional hot wing sauce by melting 1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter in a sauce pan and add 1 cup of Frank’s red hot sauce.
Thai-Style Barbeque Chicken wings with Sweet Chili Sauce
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- sesame seeds
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Sweet Chili Thai Sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (low sodium)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce (optional)
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix the oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add the chicken wings and mix until combined.
- Add the brown sugar, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, and fish sauce to a small sauce pot. Simmer for 8-10 minutes until thickened and remove from the heat.
- Grill the chicken wings for 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes. Keep them close together to maximize moisture.
- Toss 1/3 cup of the sauce with the cooked chicken wings. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and fresh cilantro. Serve with lime slices and extra sweet chili thai sauce.
Leave a Reply