I am slowing turning into my mother, as I start to collect more and more kitchen gadgets I will only use once a year. The waffle iron and coffee maker are absolutely necessary, but I draw the line at the popcorn and ice cream machines. No churn ice cream seems too good to be true? It’s one of the easiest dessert recipes you will ever make. And only 5 ingredients, it will be a staple in your house before you know it. I wanted to make this recipe with Oreo cookies, because not only are they my husbands favorite, they are a classic and retro ice cream flavor.
Does anyone else find themselves eating ice cream every night lately? Every night is ice cream social in my house. One night, in desperation, I discovered you can actually have someone drop off a pint at your doorstep (for a substantial fee of course). I am not surprised at all there is a market for this service. Some may describe it as lazy, but I think its absolutely brilliant.
This no churn cookies and cream ice cream is incredibly easy to make. Most ice creams these days, cannot legally be called ice cream because of the added ingredients and air to cheapen the product. Next time you are at the grocery store, take notice that many cartons actually don’t say “ice cream” on the package. This is because the FDA has certain requirements to label and classify ice cream as real ice cream. I love this no churn ice cream because it is made with 5 simple ingredients and without any extra garbage. The vanilla ice cream base is so versatile, so feel free to mix in your favorite flavors.
What is in cookies and cream no churn ice cream?
1. Whipped cream- The recipe starts with making real whipped cream. What’s ice cream without cream?
2. Sweetened condensed milk- keeping the water content low in this recipe, is the key for creamy ice cream without ice crystals. Sweetened condensed milk is basically ultra sweet milk that has most of the water removed.
3. Salt- helps bring out the sweetness of the cream.
4. Vanilla extract- gives the perfect vanilla flavor for the base of the ice cream.
5. Crushed Oreo Cookies- I bought the classic cookies, but the double stuffed or other variations will work. If you haven’t been to the Oreo section of the grocery store lately, you will notice there is practically an entire isle dedicated to this cookie. There is mint, lemon, chocolate cream, coconut, salted caramel, and other seasonal flavors that are worth trying.
How to make no churn ice cream
No churn ice cream is one of the easiest desserts you will ever make. It is a great dessert to make ahead of time, and is so fun to play around with different flavors.
1. The first thing you are going to do is make the whipped cream. In a medium bowl, add the cold heavy whipping cream. For optimal results, always use cold cream and chill the bowl prior to whipping. Using an electric mixer, whip until soft peaks form. A soft peak is characterized by the whipped cream having some structure when removing the beaters out of the cream. If the whipped cream goes flat after removing the beaters, continue to beat.
2. In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and salt. Using a spatula, carefully fold in the whipped cream. Now you have the vanilla ice cream base. Pour the ice cream base into a loaf pan and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for about 2.5 hours. The ice cream should be thick like yogurt.
3. To make the cookie crumbs, put in a plastic zip lock bag and smash with your hand. Using a spatula, fold in the cookie crumbs into the ice cream base. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for an additional 3 hours, or until completely frozen.
Can you make with half and half or whole milk instead?
The process of making whipped cream really only works with heavy whipping cream. If you were to use whole milk or half and half instead, you wouldn’t be able to achieve whipped cream and the ice cream would be icy, dense, and less creamy.
Other variations of no churn ice cream
Cookies and cream ice cream is a classic and a crowd pleaser. This recipe can easily be changed up. There is no right or wrong amount of topping to add. Instead of Oreo cookies, try one of the following:
- Mash Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Swirl in strawberry jam
- Add mint extract and chocolate chips
- Swirl in caramel syrup and nuts
Cookies and Cream No Churn Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (cold)
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 2.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 16 Oreo cookies, crushed
- Place the cold heavy whipping cream in a medium size bowl. Using an electric mixer or whisk, beat the heavy whipping cream just until soft peaks are formed.
- In a separate medium size bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in the whipped cream to the sweetened condensed milk mixture. Once combined, pour into a loaf pan and cover with plastic wrap.
- Freeze for 2.5 hours and remove from the freezer. Using a spatula, carefully mix in the cookies. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for an additional 3 hours, or until fully frozen.