If you were a child of the 90’s, you definitely are familiar with the sloppy Joe. My mom made these often, and I can totally see why. They are craveable, cheap, easy, and they use approachable flavors for your kids. I haven’t had one in years, but after researching how to make, I don’t need to make the original recipe to know what it tastes like. Ground beef mixed into ketchup is the basic flavor profile and I am a bit of a food snob to make the original recipe. I decided to make the adult and carb conscious version using chorizo, avocado, and lettuce cups instead of a bun. I hope you enjoy as much as we did!
Instant Pot Chorizo Sloppy Joe Lettuce Cups
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 11 oz. pork chorizo
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup tomato paste (6 oz. can)
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 head butter lettuce
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, tomato paste, mustard, black pepper, brown sugar, soy sauce, red wine vinegar, and salt.
- Turn the instant pot to the highest saute setting. Saute the onions and green bell pepper in olive oil for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for an additional minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the ground beef and chorizo and cook for about 8 minutes. Stir every 2 minutes to allow the meat to start to brown on the bottom. Using a spoon, drain off any excess water and fat.
- Add 1/2 cup water and red bell pepper to the meat. Drizzle the tomato sloppy joe sauce over the the meat. Do not stir the sauce in to avoid the bottom from burning. Select cancel on the instant pot to turn off.
- Lock and seal the lid. On manual high pressure cooking mode, cook the sloppy joes for 8 minutes. Let sit using the natural steam release for 10 minutes before opening.
- To thicken the sloppy joe sauce saute on high, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- To assemble, scoop sloppy joe mixture into lettuce cup leaves and top with avocado and halved cherry tomatoes.