Uh Oh Spaghetti Os! This is what I say all day long to my 7 month old baby, who enjoys throwing her spoon across the room after every bite. Basically, anything she gets her hand on she throws. My baby is basically playing fetch with me all day long. Although she is not at an age where she can enjoy the delicacy called Spaghetti Os, my husband and I are!
Spaghetti Os were developed in the 1960s by the Campbell Soup Company and marketed to parents as the “less messy version of spaghetti”. They were soupy and lacked any texture at all. Was there more sauce than soup or more soup than sauce? It tastes like pasta swimming in V8 juice and loaded with an unnecessary amount of added sugar.
I ate so many Spaghetti Os as a kid, I’m surprised my skin didn’t permanently turn orange. My homemade spaghetti O recipe is so simple, yet far more sophisticated. This is the only tomato sauce recipe you will ever need to know! I would not be embarrassed to garnish this with basil and Parmesan, open a bottle of wine and serve this at a dinner party. The roma tomato sauce is packed with vitamin A and a great dinner to sneak in vegetables to your kids too!
What ingredients go into homemade Spaghetti Os
1. Olive oil- used to saute the onions and garlic and adds a richness to the sauce.
2. Garlic- Although the canned version likely doesn’t have garlic, it just tastes so much better with. Garlic has many health benefits (even for kids).
3. Onion- One of the secret ingredients that makes this “O” so good. Also, another vegetable to sneak into the dinner table if you have kids.
4. Tomato Puree and Paste- The canned spaghetti Os are loaded with sugar. By using canned tomato puree, you eliminate any added sugar.
5. Ditalini Pasta- Ditalini is widely available, but any small pasta will work. This sauce is so good, so dont overthink the pasta shape. It will work with all. Some other alternatives include hoops, orachetti and fusille.
6. Butter- The secret ingredient to make anything taste so much better. The butter makes the dish super addictive, but if you are vegan or trying to cut back feel free to omit. Salted or unsalted will both work.
How to make Homemade Spaghetti O’s
This sauce uses very few ingredients and is ready in less than 30 minutes. This is truly the only tomato sauce you will ever need to know. It is so simple, yet has a richness that is good enough for the adults table. This is sauce is absolutely a staple in my house. Serve with any pasta shape.
1. In a medium sauce pan, saute the onion in olive oil over medium heat for about 3 minutes. The onions will begin to look transulcent. Add the garlic and simmer, stiring constantly, for one additional minute. Be careful not to burn the garlic because it can take on a bitter flavor.
2. Add the onions and garlic to a food processor or blender. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, and water and blend until smooth. Transfer the sauce back to the sauce pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Stir in the butter and remove from the heat.
4. Cook the pasta according to the package. Stir in desired amount of sauce to the pasta and garnish with Parmesan cheese.
- Kick it up a notch and add 1 tsp chili flakes while sautéing the onions.
- Do you like the soupier version of Spaghetti O’s? Cut the noodles in half and now you have more sauce to coat the noodles.
- Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The sauce can freeze in a container or air tight bag for up to 6 months.
Homemade Spaghetti Os
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 30 oz. crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 lb. ditalini pasta
- parmesan cheese (optional for garnish)
- In a medium sauce pan, saute the onion in olive oil for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for an additional minute.
- Add the sauted onions and garlic to a food processor or blender. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, and water and blend until smooth.
- Return sauce to the pot and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in butter and remove from the heat.
- Cook the pasta according to the package and stir in desired amount of sauce. Garnish with parmesan cheese.