Just like fashion, vegetable come and go out of style The artichoke is like the new bell bottom. This weird pine cone looking vegetable was in fashion, went out of fashion, and now slowly is coming back into fashion. I never stopped liking artichoke, but just forgot about them. Maybe I was too into kale, cauliflower and arugula for too many years to even give this vegetable a second chance. I remember eating these often growing up. My mom would steam them and serve with melted butter and mayo. I would peel off each leaf, one by one, scraping the tiny piece of artichoke with my 2 front teeth.
The grilled artichoke with roasted garlic lemon aioli is so easy, simple and fresh. With only 5 ingredients, it is a great side to add to your BBQ. The Mediterranean ingredients are classic and allow the artichoke to shine. Serve with some grilled fish, fresh bread, and a glass of white wine! A perfect dinner!
How to roast the garlic
Roasted garlic is one of the easiest things you can do to elevate any dish, especially veggies. To roast the garlic, cut the tops of each bulb off (3/4″), exposing the cloves. Drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil, and bake for 40 minutes at 400 degrees. Once it cools, you can squeeze and the roasted garlic will ooze out of the top. Roasting the garlic, mellows the flavor and allows you to use more in your recipes. Garlic has so many health benefits and makes things taste amazing.
How to make the roasted garlic aioli
This aioli makes the artichokes that much more addictive. In a small bowl mix together the mayo, 2 tbsp roasted garlic, zest of 1 lemon, 2 tsp lemon juice and salt.
How to make the garlic lemon oil
The garlic lemon oil is so simple and only requires 3 ingredients. Using a spoon mix together 1 tbsp of the roasted garlic, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp salt, and fresh cracked pepper.
How to grill the artichokes
Before grilling, the artichokes need to be boiled to help the artichokes get tender. Remove the stems, and cut in half lengthwise. Some people clip the leaves to improve the presentation, but I find this to be a waste of time. Boil the artichoke halves for 15 minutes or until the hearts are fork tender. To preserve the beautiful green color, keep the artichoke halves in a bowl of water with 1/2 lemon squeezed before boiling. After boiling, rub the cut side with a lemon half to further prevent the browning.
Pre-heat the grill to medium high. Place the artichokes cut side down and grill for 10 minutes. Remove from the grill and brush with the garlic lemon oil
How to eat an artichoke
There is no right way to eat an artichoke. Some cut right into the artichoke heart with a spoon, but I like the art of peeling back each leaf. I like to dunk each leaf into the aioli and scrape off the microscopic piece of artichoke with my 2 front teeth. Its basically a socially acceptable way to eat aioli from a spoon.
Grilled Artichoke with Roasted Garlic Lemon Aioli- 5 ingredients!
- 4 artichokes, cut in half (lengthwise)
- 2 bulbs garlic, whole
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lemons, whole
- 1/4 cup mayo
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the top of each garlic bulb off, exposing the cloves (about 3/4 inch). Place each bulb on a piece of foil and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap in foil and bake for 40 minutes in a muffin tin or baking sheet. After cooled, you can squeeze the bulb and the roasted garlic will come out the top. Reserve for the aioli and garlic oil.
- Meanwhile, cut the stem of the artichokes off and cut in half lenthwise. To prevent the artichokes from browing, keep them submerged in a bowl of water with a 1/2 lemon squeezed while you wait for the water to boil. Boil the artichoke halves for 15 minutes, or until the artichoke heart is fork tender. Drain and rub a lemon half over the tops to prevent from browning.
- To make the aioli, place the zest of 1 lemon, 2 tsp of lemon juice, mayo, 2 tbsp of the roasted garlic, and 1/4 tsp of salt in a bowl. Mix together with a spoon.
- To make the garlic lemon oil, with a fork, mix 1 tbsp of the roasted garlic, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp sea salt, and a pinch of fresh cracked pepper.
- Pre-heat the grill to medium high. BBQ the artichoke halves face side down for 10 minute. Remove from the grill and brush with the garlic lemon oil. Serve with the garlic lemon aioli.