Remember when Creamsicles were only 10 cents from an ice cream truck? Ok, I’m not that old, but I do recall what an ice cream truck is. I am always seeking ways to turn nostalgic childhood favorites into an adult treat. Take any juice box, milkshake, Capris Sun, bowl of cereal, and just add vodka. It’s that simple.
During the quarantine my drink of choice has been wine. However, lately I have been missing cocktails, but find myself lacking a lot of essential ingredients. Orange juice, vodka, vanilla ice cream…check! These ingredients are all laying around my house so I immediately started shaking. It is a dessert in a glass and after a long day with a teething baby, I deserve it.
When will life get back to normal? Is this the new normal? Where is the toilet paper? Why does everyone feel they need to post a picture of themselves with a mask on Instagram? Will I be able to bob for apples in the fall? WHYYYYYY is this happening??? These are all valid questions. Do yourself a favor and make yourself and Creamsicle Quarantini and just relax.
What is a Quarantini?
I don’t know about you, but alcohol has been my savior during this pandemic. Any Quarantini is something I look forward to since I can no longer…well, do just about anything. Quarantini is a term coined during the 2020 COVID-19 quarantine. It is a strong alcoholic beverage consumed while being locked up from the rest of the world. It can be a margarita, glass of wine, or shot of tequila. May I suggest the Creamsicle Martini to be your new Quarantini. It’s strong and sweet, and the nostalgic Creamcicle flavors will make you warm and fuzzy (or is that the vodka hitting?).
What is in a Creamcicle Quarantini?
All you need is ice cream, vodka (or liquor of your choice) and orange juice. I don’t know about you but these are staples in my house during this time. The bitters is an added bonus to bring out the orange flavors and make more interesting. The recipe calls for triple sec to make extra strong, but it is optional. If you don’t have orange juice then cranberry, pineapple or grapefruit would also make tasty substitutions.
How to make a Creamsicle Quarantini
If you have a cocktail shaker, great! If not, no worries we got you covered. Add the vodka, orange juice, bitters, triple sec, and ice cream to a shaker or blender. If you have a shaker, add ice, shake for 20 seconds and strain into a martini glass. If you have a blender, blend for 5 seconds and then add ice. Stir vigorously and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with an orange peel or nothing at all, because who are you trying to impress.
What is the proper way to use a shaker and what type of shaker do you recommend?
I always recommend the Boston shaker when purchasing a shaker for your bar. A Boston shaker is basically 2 cups, one slightly smaller than the other. When stacking them together they are a lot easier to pull apart as the metal freezes. You can also use a cobbler shaker, which is a 3 piece shaker with a built in strainer. Either one works, but Boston is just a personal preference. Here are the steps to properly shake:
- Pour your ingredients into the shaker and add the ice. Always add your ice last to minimize ice melt. If possible, keep your liquor frozen and chill your cocktail mixer to further minimize ice melt.
- Secure the lid or top cup.
- Hold one hand on each end and shake vigorously. If you want to look extra cool make sure you shake over your shoulder. If you want to look super extra cool, grow out a mustache and tie back your quarantine hair into a man bun.
- Shake for a minimum of 15 seconds, but no more than 25 seconds. The outside of the glass will start to frost and that is how you know it is done. You can always sing the birthday song too! If anyone asks why you are singing the birthday song to them, just say, “Every day is worth celebrating your birth”.
- Strain your cocktail into a chilled glass and enjoy.
Creamsicle "Quarantini" Martini
- 2 shots vodka
- 1 shot triple sec
- 1 cup orange juice
- 6 tbsp vanilla ice cream
- 8 drops orange or angostura bitters (optional)
- Put the vodka, orange juice, bitters, triple sec and ice cream in a shaker with ice.
- Shake and strain into a martini glass.
- Note: If you don’t have a shaker, blend the vodka, orange juice, bitters and ice cream in a blender without the ice. Add ice and stir very well then strain into a martini glass.
- The recipe is using a standard 1.5 oz. shot glass.
- The bitters is optional because it is not always accessible during a quarantine. It helps emphasize the orange flavor in the cocktail. Angostura bitters is more commonly found and can be used instead.
- Play around with other juices you have in your house. Cranberry, pineapple or grapefruit juice would also be delicious.
- to make vegan, use orange sorbet instead.