I am an absolute sucker for cutsie and gimmicky Instagram food trends. Whether its animal shaped dumplings, churro ice cream sandwiches, sushi burritos, or avocado toast, I need to try, and I need to try NOW. Remember the Cronut (Donut meets croissant)? Simply brilliant! I definitely waited in an hour long line in New York City to get my hands on one of these. When I first saw pancake cereal I knew I HAD to make! Miniature anything has my heart, but miniature pancakes….I just have to get on board with these. Is a regular size pancake easier to make? Yes, but these are more fun. What kid or full size adult wouldn’t want a bowl full of mini pancakes?
Warning: do not make these hangry! I’m not going to lie, they do take patience to make. The reward is oh so good! They should be enjoyed in a bowl with maple syrup, butter, mini chocolate chips, and powdered sugar. Having a brunch party? These would be adorable as a brunch appetizer as well.
My guilty pleasure is sugary kids cereal and would classify myself as a cereal connoisseur. We almost always have a box or 2 laying around. I ate so much fruity pebbles when I was pregnant, I am surprised my baby didn’t come out the color of the rainbow. Cookie crisp is a personal childhood favorite because it normalized eating cookies for breakfast. Enjoy this amazing spin on a gimmicky Instagram trend and a childhood cereal. You are welcome!
What is pancake cereal?
Basically, pancake cereal is mini bite size pancakes in a bowl. Apparently, they went viral from a TikTok video and are now seen all over my Instagram feed. We make a lot of pancakes in this house, so I just had to see for it myself. I have added mini chocolate chips, because….why not?
How do you serve pancake cereal?
Initially, I assumed pancake cereal is served with milk. I just cannot get on board with this concept because soggy bread is NO BUENO. The mini pancakes should be served warm with softened butter, syrup, and powdered sugar and sprinkle with additional mini chocolate chips. I will admit, I made several attempts to make these crispy for milk and they just aren’t great. Pancakes should be soft, so I just gave up.
These pancakes are versatile, so make with whatever ingredients you prefer. Try with blueberries, bananas, M&Ms, lemon zest, or have just plain.
How do you make pancake cereal?
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl (flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar). Add the milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil in the dry ingredients. Using a whisk, mix until combined. Some lumps in the batter are OK. If you over mix pancake batter you will end up with chewy and dense pancakes. After you have mixed all the ingredients together, stir in the mini chocolate chips.
Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Lightly grease the pan with oil or butter. Drop 1 tsp dollops of batter in the pan. I found that any more than 15 pancakes at a time is hard to manage. Cook 2-3 minutes or until the center starts to bubble. Flip and cook an additional 1-2 minutes, until center is cooked. It takes several minutes to make all these mini pancakes, so i recommend rewarming in the oven when you are ready to serve. In a single layer on a baking pan, warm pancakes in oven for about 5 minutes.
Cookie Crisp Pancake Cereal
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups milk (non-fat, low-fat, or whole)
- 2 large eggs
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (plus more for serving)
- maple syrup, softened butter and powdered sugar for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil and whisk until combined (some small lumps are OK). Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Grease lightly with oil or butter. Drop 1 tsp of pancake batter at a time. Flip after 2-3 minutes or until bubbles start to form in the center. Cook for an additional minute or until cooked in the center. Transfer pancakes to a large baking sheet.
- When ready to eat, warm mini pancakes spread out in the oven for 5 minutes, or until warm. Serve in a bowl with softened butter, maple syrup, mini chocolate chips and powdered sugar.
Leave a Reply